Philip Hoggatt was an early Quaker settler to what is now southwest High Point. The Hoggatt House was located on one of his land grants along Richland Creek where the Green Street Baptist Church campus is today. It was thought to have been built around 1754 and for many years was cited as the oldest building in High Point. A 2005 dendrochronology test showed that the main structure was actually built in 1801 with a later addition in 1824. Since Philip Hoggatt died in 1783, his youngest son, Joseph Hoggatt, is the likely builder.
This type of house is typical of Carolina Backcountry dwellings of the late 18th and early 19th Centuries. Only two families (Hoggatt and Corbit) owned this house for almost 200 years.
When the Hoggatt House was first built in 1801, it was just a single room home with a garret (a room or unfinished part of a house just under the roof). Image by: Victoria Chaffers
In the first alteration of the house, a lean-to room was added to the entire back of the house, a chimney was added allowing for a stove and flue pipe, and the rear door of the original structure became an interior door into the new room. Image by: Victoria Chaffers
Later additions changed the floor plan to a Hall and Parlor Plan (a main room with a smaller adjoining room). Image by: Victoria Chaffers
In 1973 the house was donated to the High Point Museum and was moved from its original location on South Rotary Drive to the Museum’s Historic Park.
On December 10, 2004 a lightning strike set fire to the Hoggatt House. The fire destroyed parts of the house including the roof, flooring, and stairs, but some furnishings were saved such as a blanket chest from 1825.
After over a year of work, including a dendrochronology study, the restored Hoggatt House was re-opened to the public on On April 1, 2006.
Visit the Hoggatt House at the High Point Museum to learn more about the Hoggatt family and Backcountry living in early High Point!