The blacksmith shop was orginally in Davidson County and part of the property of J.T. Fishel who worked as a wheelwright beginning in the 1870s. Tests on the logs indicate that it was constructed around 1841.
The blacksmith shop was transported in pieces to the Historical Park, where it was rebuilt.
This article from the High Point Enterprise in 1970 documented the move of the blacksmith shop.
While we can be certain one existed, there are no records left to indicate what Haley’s blacksmith shop looked like. Haley's shop may have been larger, but our current structure from Davidson county is a great example of what a typical blacksmith shop would have been like at this time.
A blacksmith in Haley’s day could craft a variety of iron items, not just hand tools, including farming equipment like plows, eating utensils like forks and knives, and building materials like nails. His shop would have been a busy enterprise for the growing community.